Timberland's Earthkeepers® collection
How to make a high quality, eco-conscious product manufactured with as little energy as possible? Timberland definitely brought an answer with its “Earthkeepers®Hookset Handcrafted collection”, which was introduced in spring 2011.
What’s the philosophy behind?
• “incorporate organic and recycled materials into the design”
• “minimize environmental impacts in our manufacturing processes”
• offer transparency so to be able to “compare the impact of one pair of Timberland® footwear to another”
What’s the process?
Four eco-conscious materials, “expertly combined”…
• Organic cotton, grown without toxic fertilizers or pesticides
• Natural rubber, sourced from the living tree
• Aluminum, extremely recyclable
• LWG silver-rated leather pieces, sourced right from the cutting room floor
… And an environmental conscious manufacturing:
• made by hand and dyed individually
• less machinery and cost effective
“Additionally, using fewer materials and making shoes by hand reduces its environmental impact, allowing the collection to achieve an average score of 3.5 out of 10 on Timberland’s Green Index® scoring system—the lowest score in the history of the company.”
According to Pete Lankford, Design Director for Earthkeepers and Timberland Boot Company, “The Hookset Handcrafted collection marks a major milestone—proving that quality, durability and craftsmanship can coexist with eco-sensitivity and create a remarkable shoe.”
Find out all about Timberland's Sustainable Development at http://responsibility.timberland.com.